Recently I had the great pleasure of being interviewed by Jake Desyllas on The Voluntary Life podcast. We dug deeply into my crisis of conscience which led me to leave a big paycheck behind for the unknown.
Although I have previously touched on this topic in my Freecoast Festival talk and my open letter to Chelsea Manning, this interview with Jake is my favorite exploration of the subject. We cover topics such as:
- What your body tells you about your mental state. Pulling on that thread.
- How to know when it’s time to make a big change in your life.
- The Collateral Murder Wikileaks video. (Warning: graphic video of war.)
- How compartmentalization and rationalization can hold you back.
- Surrounding yourself with supportive people.
- The burden of debt.
- How we found the Standard American Dream to be a load of crap.
- The principle (or fallacy) of sunk cost.
- Getting ready to make the big change.
- Leveraging your core competencies to pivot into a new field.
- Tiny home living and the difficulty of traveling full time.
- Making the move to New Hampshire at PorcFest and finding the Freecoast.
- The power of your network.
- Self-directed learning and the sovereignty of the child.
- Why changing your life can be overwhelming, and how to handle it.
- Increasing liberty in the world starts with you. Life is too short to be unhappy.
Special thanks to Jake Desyllas for facilitating this discussion!
Ken Justice is an engineering consultant and family man living on the New Hampshire Freecoast. You can contact him securely via Keybase to continue the discussion.